12/3/10

Vengeance

While Winston prepared his coven to respond, Richard spent his time explaining his mission of retribution to his mother while preparing his blades and steel rod for the work ahead.  Eventually he managed to quite her sobs and stop her tears. Soon she fell into a fitful sleep holding his hand. He sat with her for a few minutes more before gently prying his hand away and joining Louis and I on the porch. We stopped speaking as he approached and Louis turned to him, speaking softly.
“We are truly sorry for your loss.”
“I know.” He said, with a little smile. “But I now understand what I must do with these abilities I have. There are those who need protection from others who would prey on weakness…perceived or otherwise. Someone has to balance the scales. I have a responsibility. I am not a religious man, but I do believe in God and right and wrong. Justice in favor of injustice.” He paused.
“We believe in justice as well.” I said.
He offered a little smile before continuing.
“I am prepared to go on alone. This is my fight and it is personal, but I will not refuse your help.”
“We’re all neck high in it now.” Louis said. “It’s been coming our way for some time.”
“I’m reminded of a quote from Genghis Khan.” He said. “I am the punishment of God… If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you.” His smile was gone, replaced by the look of resolve I saw hours before when he had returned.
We stood in silence, the three of us, after he was done talking. A light breeze gave some relief to the humid night and I could hear Richards heart quicken as points of light in the distance grew larger, approaching from all corners of the estate.

No comments:

Post a Comment