12/17/10

Bleeding Out

It was too easy, his acquiescence, Winston’s rationale. Sure they both had the capacity for these emotions, but I was too hopeful to accept that things were already beyond reason. Now, it was all about power and control.
No sooner had the lights gone out than I felt the concert of movement around me. Winston was no longer in front of me, but he wouldn’t make it far. Richard’s blade and steel staff sang in the night air before making mortal contact with immortal flesh and cartilage.
I moved too sensing Louis close as he threw me a blade from more than a hundred yards away. He stood fending off those who were trying to make their way inside to Ngozi. I turned in time to see Richard deliver the final rites to Winston without hesitation or ceremony. It was time for me to go to work as well.
Seeing their leader fall took the fight right out of all except the most ambitious and crazed of their coven. None of them presented even a remote threat to me and as I worked my way through their ranks I couldn’t help but notice Richard, almost effortlessly, keeping pace with my body count. It was the first time I could see the effect that my blood had on his physical abilities and it was truly a wonder to behold.  
In short order a small group had wisely retreated leaving their mutilated and vanquished behind. Richard and I worked in silent unison to ensure there would be no resurrections, walking the field removing heads and hearts. It was a gruesome sight, but I found myself grateful that we were the ones still standing at the moment. Richard studied each face, still searching for his wife’s murderer.
His face was slick and sticky with sweat and tears and blood, but I was not the one who should console him. He took a deep breath and brushed the tears away, before returning to his grim task. But there were also fresh eyes on us, mourning what we lost in the battle. I turned and followed Richard’s gaze back to the porch where Ngozi was standing. Louis and a few others stood at her back with swords at the ready as she held on to the rail and wept at the sight of her son and I covered in blood, working together…

No comments:

Post a Comment