12/3/10

Blood & Pain


I was happy to see Richard alive, but sickened to see him stained by blood and shrouded in pain. We were being watched by about twenty from Winston’s coven. Richard eviscerated them. He cut them open and drove a steel rod through their beating hearts, sending them to a more permanent darkness.
There was barely a flicker in his eyes when I looked into them. Nothing humane. He seemed detached and resolute. His eyes moistened at the sight of his mother and I left them alone as she wept and tried to clean his hands.
Outside the clean up had already begun, but the remains told the story. Served heads with frozen looks of horror were the ones I found most compelling. They, who had good reason to fear only others like us, had come face to face with another who was mostly mortal and they were the one’s filled with terror.
Richard had joined a watch group comprised of vampires and mortals when he returned to the US and they had taught him a lot in the ways of detecting and eliminating my kind. Louis was acquainted with them and thought that they would be helpful with getting Richard adjusted to living with what he knew and who he was. All this was before he had his family snatched from him, when his life held more meaning. Now he was back to settle accounts with more of an understanding of were the balance of power lay and how much my kind can take from the unsuspecting. So I suppose this scene before me was unavoidable, by his hand or mine. Before long word would get back to Winston and he would have to act. If my actions signaled intent, Richards were a declaration…of war.

No comments:

Post a Comment