12/11/10

Dressing the Wound


Richard’s eyes glazed over as the lights grew closer. He became distant and detached once more as his breathing became deeper and steady. A lone figure approached down the pathway before us without any torchlight. The others stopped just on the edge of the plantation and the lone figure continued for a moment before stopping about ten yards short of us. I stepped in front of Richard and looked into his eyes.
“Richard.” I said evenly. “Listen to me. Let me talk to him first. Try to avoid any unnecessary bloodshed.”
He locked eyes with me for a moment and eventually nodded. Louis stood beside him as I walked out towards the solitary figure. Winston’s face was half bathed in the moonlight as I approached.
“So Nicholas, here we are.” He said with a sad smile. “I can’t believe this is what you wanted.”
“It isn’t.” I said evenly. “But if we don’t find some way to mediate things, this will be the final stand for many of us.”
He considered my words and then raised his hand, and then all of the lights went dark…

No comments:

Post a Comment