10/30/09

Fear & Loathing

I could not move. My thoughts were clear and I could almost read his, but I was paralyzed. La Safer was inches from my face, mocking me, laughing in disgust. His dark wings were fully extended, as were his fangs, I felt dwarfed by his size and intent. Still, he did not touch me; he made no attempt to express his contempt violently. That’s when I understood that this visit was about fear and the promise of the pain to come. This was about re-asserting the control he felt was assured with my making. As I relaxed his words became clear.

“I think this is what I find most disappointing about you my son. You have so much ability, so much promise.” At this his express softened. “But, I suppose there is an eventuality to your actions. I know I have disappointed my father, but in betraying you your apprentice has proven himself loyal and deserving of the place I have set for you. Did you honestly feel that you could exercise discretion with these abilities, that you could lend some nobility to feeding on mankind? This was about so much more, but you have abdicated your responsibility and with it the power that was promised. I shall enjoy seeing Antonio take from you what is now his.”

His eyes widened as my mouth curled into a smile. “This attempt to poison my senses with fear is admirable but ultimately flawed. I know you are powerful, but I have observed the relationship between power and mortals and I have come to understand that key in these relationships is a desire by those who become disadvantaged to give up something in the exchange. I refuse to engage you on your terms and I feel certain that if it were within your will or power to introduce me to my end that I would have met it by now. So, send your favored Antonio to do your biding, but I promise you it is I who will take from him what I am entitled too.” La Safer’s expression and mood darkened as I continued. “I’m sure, we both have much to do.”

I opened my eyes and found Elizabeth sitting across the room. Her eyes were fixed on me, but her thoughts were elsewhere.

“You should get some rest.”

“Yes.” She said forcing a smile and straightening herself in the chair. “I just felt that we should not both be asleep.”

“Fear is one of their weapons. We must make them earn their advantage.”

She lowered her head as she spoke. “Of course. I saw your body tense for a few moments but then you became so peaceful.”

“Yes, I spoke to La Safer.”

“You what, how?” She asked sitting forward.

“He came to me in a dream. It was intended as a warning I suppose, but it turned out to be quite instructive. I am beginning to understand that there is a lot at stake in our struggle. More than our existences, and I have inadvertently chosen a side. Ironically it is a choice I would have thought was impossible, because of our dark abilities.” I left the warmth and comfort of the bed and put on a luxurious cotton robe before parting the drapes of our room and allowing in some of the fading light. “My part in this matter has been decided.” I continued with my back to her. “But I must ask your feelings on this because I feel that the road ahead will be filled with treachery and death, perhaps even for us. So, if you desire some existence beyond this moment and you are not committed to this course I do understand. In fact, it is I who is their focus-”

“Please Nicholas.” She interrupted, her face moist with tears. “Even if I were not loyal to you, it is clear that I would only be another means of inflicting some sort of pain or punishment on you. I fear you are stuck with me.”

“Good.” I said turning to face her. “It is time we signal our own intent.”


No comments:

Post a Comment