10/23/09

The Game

Elizabeth did not appear to be thriving in her new surroundings. She was certainly capable of more emotion than Antonio thought and I felt what I saw in her was at least in some small measure, remorse. As we sat in the quiet corner of a restaurant, not far from the harbor, she related the hours of terror while I was away. She spoke of Antonio and evil possession and managed a little smile at the irony since we are, after all, not quite creatures of light. I studied her body language and her eyes as she spoke and was struck by more than just her words. There was something in her manner I had never sensed before, fear.

Eli had joined us as well, but even though he had been in my presence he had not spoken to me since before the incident on my estate in Trinidad. Perhaps I had chosen not to hear what he had to say. There was concern in his eyes, and not only for Elizabeth.

I reached across the table for her slightly shaking, gloved hand and she let out a breath that seemed to relax her some. She had been talking for almost an hour, filling me in on every detail, intent but not quite desperate to convince me of her innocence in the events. As our half filled cups of tea cooled before us I had heard enough.

“So. He says he was summoned by a Mr. La Safer?”

“Yes.”

“And he believes he can become the most powerful of our kind with La Safer’s help?”

“Yes…after meeting with him, he was changed. He let me go and said I was not worthy. I could return to you if that was my desire he said almost sincerely.”

“I see.” I said, as some concern tainted my expression.

“There is more.” She said, becoming troubled once again by my expression.

“Go on.”

“He says that La Safer is disappointed with you and that he is destined to lead our kind…that you need not bother looking for him. He will find you.”

“Interesting.” I said, just above a whisper. My mysterious maker had reached out to my protégé and he was now convinced of his superiority.

“Have you seen La Safer?”

“I have not. But, I have seen his influence on Antonio.” She said looking around and holding herself as though chilled by the memory.

“Since I was allowed to leave, I feel followed by a constant presence.” She continued. “I am not used to this. Something is hunting me…”

“Do you feel this presence now?”

“Yes.”

“So do I. I felt it before we entered the harbor. When I saw you, I thought perhaps it was just your presence that I felt, but…there is something more at work here.”

“What do we do?” She asked, pleading with her eyes. I studied her and decided that this uncertainty and fear diminished her and made her abilities less effective. It was part of their game. Fear is contagious and debilitating and it was only their opening salvo.

“Where you’re staying now is not safe. We must find a new place. I will get you new things.” I said smiling. “We have extraordinary spirits but we are still somewhat limited by our mortal forms. It means that this game, that they have initiated, has its limits. I believe that our disadvantage is not as sever as it may appear.”

We needed to counter our enemies and were about to embark on another quest. One that would, eventually, lead us back to the Caribbean and more unlikely allies.


No comments:

Post a Comment