10/2/09

Unrest

As my adopted twin island home reveled in its newfound independence and sought an identity separate from their colonial masters the seeds of discontent were beginning to bear fruit in my coven. Our numbers had swollen to fifteen but a select three had become my council. As our numbers grew I fought to regain the control that I could feel slipping away. I declared that none of our kind should be made by anyone outside the council, knowing that with our kind nothing short of a second death would be a deterrent. There had never been a death of our kind, but as the oldest I was prepared to reduce our numbers and was certain of my superior strength, skill and cunning to make good on this promise.

Antonio remained the only one of my direct making, but I understood that I was father to them all. Antonio became respected and feared by all except Elizabeth who seemed to know that none were as strong or powerful as I was. She had become uninterested with their relationship and had ceased to accommodate his physical desires. The coolness between Antonio and the council grew, as did the resentment I sensed from him. It was not long before I sensed that the divide had infected our coven and that eight of the nine, that were of Antonio’s making, began to align themselves with their maker in this matter of envy. I was saddened by how things had turned with Antonio, but I could not make him a prisoner to a friendship that had soured. I understood that you give your children your best and hope that they honor themselves and you. But, at some point they chart their own course and there is nothing that you can do.

And so it came to pass, when Antonio felt strong enough and had the unyielding support of his own, he came to me with an ultimatum. I was enjoying a quiet moment with Kayla, who was excited about her visit from Dominic. She had seen him, for the first time, a few weeks earlier. He was her Eli. We were both pleased with these developments because not all of us had these visitors and as far as I knew Antonio had never met his guardian.

We enjoyed these pre-twilight moments in a sunroom, adjacent to our bedroom. There was an office against the wall with an informal sitting area to the front of it and two large seats that faced the window separated by a coffee table. We sat at the window and I frowned as I felt his presence in our room.

“Forgive me.” He said, doing little to hide his contempt for Kayla.

“Not at all Antonio.”

“I would like a moment, in private.”

Kayla rose without a word and kissed me, before leaving the room and shutting the double doors. I too was becoming intolerant of the pretense.

“What is it Antonio?”

“There is a matter that we must discuss.” He said sitting next to me. “It is long over due.”

“Then please.”

“Of course. I want you to relinquish control of the coven.” He paused for a response. I said nothing. He continued. “You and Kayla will be allowed to stay at this house and carry on your affairs as you see fit. However, I will be responsible for our business matters and all the concerns of the House of Condé. I respect you as my maker, but I can see that you no longer have the resolve for the decisions which are required for our continued existence and our rightful place on this earth.”

Each bitter statement filled me with great remorse and sadness but I gave no superficial indications of my feelings. He sat and considered me with the confidence of a predator, before continuing.

“Good it’s settled. I want to assure you that your past kindnesses will not be ignored and both you and Kayla will be treated with respect.” As he stood to leave, I finally spoke.

“Sit down.” I said firm, but evenly. He sat. “I cannot allow you or anyone else to run this coven and I will not allow my existence to be dictated to me by you or anyone else in this coven. I have sensed your displeasure for some time, but I assure you that you will not like my displeasure visited upon you.” I could feel the anger rising within him, but he held it at bay. “This ends now, by your word.” I continued. “Or I will end it!”

As I watched him bow and leave the room I knew things were too far-gone. We had shown our hands and now we would play them to the bloody end.


No comments:

Post a Comment