11/6/09

Control

La Safer was the architect. He had convinced Antonio that he should lead our kind forward and that I must be destroyed before he could claim his place as the favored son. La Safer had given me my dark abilities and allowed me my free will on the condition that I would play my part in his design. I suppose I have never really lived up to my promise of ruthlessness. For that though, there was still time.

Elizabeth recalled, in great detail, where she stayed with Antonio before she was allowed to leave. I didn’t need to see this place myself; I could sense how close he was. I was ready. I was feeding regularly, for the first time in decades, because I needed to be at the height of my powers for what lay ahead.

I left Elizabeth to rest in the daylight hours while I observed Antonio and his growing nest. He had become stronger, more confident in his abilities, but his arrogance had also progressed unchecked. His unnatural abilities were clouded by his ego which also impaired his ability to impart proper instruction to his novice charges. They were feral, and wore their contempt for humans beneath the thinnest veils. I, who had mastered many of my abilities, could be a few short yards from them unnoticed as I assessed their numbers and inferior abilities.

It had been twenty-one days, and Elizabeth was becoming anxious about our next move. Moreover because I had said little about what that move would be. She was not yet ready to face what we had to and was only just recovering from her infection. Still, I felt her fear and uncertainty, symptoms of the sickness.

She observed as I packed a leather satchel with two curved daggers and a longer straight blade, half a foot shorter than a sword. It was not uncommon for persons, of means, to commission blacksmiths to make weapons to particular specifications. I had found a very skilled blacksmith who made ceremonial pieces for nobility and army officials and made certain of his discretion before rewarding him handsomely for what I required. He employed a little know Asian technique of refolding the metal numerous times making the blades, sharper and more durable.

“Should I ask where we’re going?”

“WE are not going anywhere. I will be back before nightfall.” I said adjusting my street clothes and the smudges on my face.

“Impressive.” She said appraising my appearance, trying unsuccessfully to hide her concern. “If I didn’t know better I would think that you were a vagabond who has broken into the room.”

“I will see you soon. Be vigilant.” I said locking eyes with her before walking out the door.

There was a light rain throughout the day and the mud from many of the side streets could be seen splattered against expanding cobblestone streets and walls. Antonio had made it his custom to frequent a restaurant four blocks from where we stayed, always in the company of one of three of his new female soucouyants. He looked as if he belonged to nobility, and I suppose he did share some of the characteristic of some conferred the title.

I observed them from my vantage point in the alley across from the restaurant. I saw Antonio give a, near imperceptible, nod to different members of his nest as they entered and sat in different areas of the restaurant. I passed for a street vagrant and was unnoticed as I reached into my worn satchel and checked my weapons. It was time to reveal myself to Antonio. As I relaxed my focus revealing my essence I felt a presence to my back. I turned in disbelief at the sight before me. Impossible I thought. His voice interrupted my reverie.

“Come Nicholas, quickly! Before you act there is more you must understand.”

Antonio was on his feet searching the images outside the window for the presence he suddenly felt. But Louis and I had already disappeared into a human sea of flesh and despair.


No comments:

Post a Comment