6/4/10

Blood Ties

Meeting Marcus was unsettling. I couldn’t bring myself to look at him during that first encounter but I would know him when next we met. I only had a glimpse into La Safer’s mind, but I felt certain that those he chose to make by his own blood were of particular significance.

While I have always been conflicted, I could sense in Marcus’ voice a strength and serenity that was alien to me. He was at peace with his dark gift and this clarity made him a more willing alley of La Safer. The friend of my enemy…

It was strange to be thinking in these terms. La Safer had given me a great power, but I had not served his purpose and he was constantly looking for opportunities to remind me of just where my blood ties now lay. He had always been my enemy.

I had no problem standing in defense of those I cared for, the ones I truly considered my blood but I had to acknowledge that the collateral damage in this fight had been extended far beyond my intimate circle. Left unchecked, unchallenged, this beautiful island and every other place of promise would be tainted.

At night I watched over Ngozi without further incident. But on many of those nights she would sob for hours before slipping mercifully into sleep. I could no longer pretend that all was well in my small corner of the world. I had to embrace what I was and make peace with an unavoidable task. Marcus was the key...


No comments:

Post a Comment