6/18/10

The Beautiful Struggle

It would be easier if I did not care about my distant mortality or my mortal relationships. Far simpler if I were not genuinely fond of Marcus Anthony. It has been two weeks since our second meeting and I now spend some part of each day with him. Our kind instinctively recognizes weakness and exploits it, so for me there was no plan beyond waiting for an opportunity.

While I am understandably circumspect of Marcus and his family, they welcome me with open arms. They are considerate of each other and me and seem, dare I say, almost normal. There are many questions that I have about them and their curious dynamic but other questions are more pressing. Still, it is an unsettling comfort to be in their company.

There are twelve others that work for him, that he calls his extended family, his brood. Marcus is a natural leader, charismatic, convincing and completely convinced by the message he instills in his brood. They are disciplined and loyal and I am uncomfortable in their presence.

I suspect Marcus knows that I am opposed to his belief in our domination, but for the moment we both seemed content with the easy friendship and respect of an equal. As a token of his goodwill Ngozi is safe. He says we are brothers in a far deeper way than actual siblings. We were, both, chosen by La Safer and he believes this to be a great honor.

“We are a select few.” He said to me. “Our bloodline is divine and while we can make others of our kind none are as close to beautiful perfection as we are. It is my sincere hope that you see that it is our right and responsibility to lead our kind.”

His words were chosen well and not entirely unreasonable, but I knew that I could be equally persuasive. More seductive is the easy acceptance by another of my kind who saw me as both prodigal son and misguided big brother. He is genuine in his affection, dare I say love for me, but he is also very deliberate in the use of his family to create the sense of emotions I crave. Still, we stand at philosophical extremes so I know, ultimately, this will end badly for both of us…


No comments:

Post a Comment