6/11/10

The Friend of my Enemy

Marcus left himself open to me which made him a lot easier to find. He lived on the foothills overlooking the growing town of Arima. His house was above his business which, I had to admit, displayed a sense of brash genius. The sign in fancy script read Anthony’s Funeral Home.

A pretty pre-pubescent girl in a yellow and white polka dot dress approached the gate before I could call on Marcus. She looked to be an ordinary girl, but I know my kind. I removed my hat and she gave me a little smile before she opened the gate.

“You are here to see my father.” She said. It was not a question.

“Your Father?” I asked.

“Yes, Marcus.”

“Yes I am.” I said.

“This way.” She said turning her back to me skipping up the three steps that led to the double doors of the business. “He’s expecting you.”

She led me past a receptionist’s desk to an office door which displayed a tile in formal lettering that read Marcus Anthony – Owner / Manger. She stopped and turned abruptly.

“I am Clara.” She said warmly, extending her hand. “It was nice meeting you Mr. Bourbon.” And then she turned and skipped away, eerily convincing. The voice that came from the office startled me for a moment.

“Nicholas, please come in.” Marcus’ tone was just as warm and I did feel like I was being welcomed by a brother. It was my first time seeing him and he was an impressive representative for our species. He was powerfully built and stood nearly six feet tall with skin the color of brown sugar and short cropped, black curly hair. He made an expansive gesture with his hands and exposed a near perfect smile. He walked from behind his large purple wooden desk to greet me. I felt his strong arms encircle me briefly.

“Please sit.” He said before returning to his seat.

“Marcus Anthony.” I said with a little smile.

“It’s always been my name actually.” He said by way of explanation. “But I’m sure we have more pressing matters to discuss.”

On his desk I saw a picture of the little girl and one of him and a woman holding a younger Clara. He followed my eyes and smiled.

“You have already met my little princess and that is my wife Kathleen.”

“You have a family.” I said locking eyes with him.

“Yes Nicholas, and we are all in the family business.”

I understood which business he meant.

“Shall we speak frankly?”

“Certainly. But let me assure you that you need not worry anymore about your mortal lady friend.”

“Thank you.” I replied, strangely reassured by his promise. “But I am equally concerned about the plans that you and La Safer have for me.”

“Perhaps it would be best to clear up a misconception of yours.”

“Please.” I said with an arched eyebrow.

“La Safer is not exactly who you might think he is, although initially I too thought he must be Lucifer.”

“And you know that he isn’t?”

“Yes. In fact he is no different from you or I. He is, quite literally, an ambitious, fallen angel and we understand how great this new rule of our kind will be.” He said, with an engaging smile.

Looking into the eyes of this bloodthirsty fanatic I understood just how difficult this new challenge would be. But I took heart in the new knowledge that my maker was less than I thought he was…


No comments:

Post a Comment