5/28/10

Marcus Rises

With my attention turned to Ngozi’s safety and mentoring Richard a new challenge was taking root in my adopted homeland. His name was Marcus and in him La Safer had found a more willing participant to do his bidding. It was Marcus who sent his bloodthirsty soucouyants for Ngozi. A test of soughts. He had quietly built up his forces, and while I struggled with my abilities he gained confidence and comfort in his own.

I promised Richard I would look after his mother and would have done so even if he had not asked. I now spent my nights in the open field to the back of Ngozi’s house, hidden in the canopy of a large, old avocado tree. This would be the stage of our first encounter.

It was a few hours past dusk. A light rain had provoked the scent of lemon grass that now competed with the smell of evening stews carried on the cool breeze. I sensed a presence, his presence, before but never this close. There was no scent that I could discern from him, but the smell of clean fabric and the lack of wind to my back was enough warning.

“I see you are ready to show yourself.” I said with my back to him. I felt a hand on my shoulder and looked down at the color which was that of the natives.

“It is time we were introduced brother.” He said in a deep commanding voice.

“Brother?”

“Yes.” He said removing his hand. “Even though you may hate my actions, we are the same you and I. Born of the same father.”

“Of course.” I whispered. “La Safer.”

“Ironically though I find the words of another most appropriate at this time. Anyone who claims to be in the light but hates his brother is still in the darkness.” He was quoting scripture to me. John 2:9 irony indeed, brotherhood and light. I offered the next verse as my response.

“Whoever loves his brother lives in the light, and there is nothing to make him stumble.”

“Indeed brother. I do love you and I look forward to our next encounter.”

I turned to look at him, but he was gone and with him all illusions of a peaceful existence…


No comments:

Post a Comment