5/21/10

An Uneasy Alliance

Nothing had prepared him for taking life, even if those lives were not exactly human. I had to take him away and wipe the blood from his hands and get him cleaned up before his mother saw again, before he saw himself again. He was almost catatonic, whispering about their strength, fire and blood, so much blood, seeping into the earth, soaking into his clothes…covering his hands.

Even after I got him cleaned up, he felt unclean, tainted, ashamed. But after a couple hours the shock was wearing off. I did my best to remind him of those who loved him, reasons for him to be here, to be a protector. He had no real choice in the matter, for whatever their reasons they were there to take blood and end a bloodline, which also meant that as close as we were we needed to get back to his Mother. Back to Ngozi.

I taught him things that I learned from decades of practice, how to hide your emotions and function. Ngozi wept when she saw her son, not because he still had to leave and get back to his pregnant wife, or because he lied almost convincingly to her telling her he was alright and that it was all going to be okay, she wept because when she looked into his eyes she could see that he had been permanently altered and that he and I now shared an uneasy alliance…


2 comments:

  1. WOW.ISAACS I HAD TO LET YOU KNOW THAT I REALLY ENJOY READING YOUR JOURNALS.MY HUSBAND BEGAN READING THESE ABOUT 2 MONTHS AGO.HE ENCOURAGED ME TO READ ALSO.HE GOES TO THE STUDY AND GETS LOST IN THESE JOURNALS. I GREW UP IN TRINIDAD AND AS KID OUR FOLKLORE WOULD SCARE THE HELL OUT OF ME.MY FIRST READING HAD ME WANTING FOR MORE.I HOPE YOU ARE CONSIDERING GETTING THEM PUBLISHED.WE CANT WAIT.THANK YOU/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Writing is my passion so your support and comments mean the world to me. I thank you and your husband for your support and hope you continue to enjoy the Journal and the Novel that I am completing. Again, I am humbled by your support...Thank you!

    ReplyDelete