5/7/10

First Encounter

Much had changed on the island before I met Richard for the first time. The world was a much different place since his birth. Evil had found a place and as much as I felt responsible for introducing a particular kind of evil to the island, more than just my kind work against these people now. Evil is seductive and clever and there are many humans now who have lost their humanity to it. I accept my part and perhaps I am beyond redemption. I have no illusions about what I have done, of what I continue to do at times. But Richard has given me hope and I selfishly feel that he can be my redemption…I wish he didn’t have to be.

Once you become aware of who, or what you are, you can decide how you are going to respond to this knowledge, but you cannot return to a state of ignorance. Richard decided that he wanted to meet with me a week after his mother revealed his history. A week ago he had not considered just how much danger those he loved were exposed to and now he was overwhelmed by the possibilities. He sent his wife and unborn child back to the US without him, despite her protests. In the end she accepted it was the best thing to do.

As I looked at this young man climbing the steps of my front porch I was struck by all that he stood to lose and wondered if he thought there was any benefit to the burden of his abilities. He took my hand and I could feel the strength and tension in his body. I indicated the seat closest to him as I sat across from him. There were two pitchers on the table between us, one with water the other with fresh squeezed orange juice as well as a platter of cheese sandwiches, but neither of us was concerned with food on this humid Caribbean day. He seemed unusually calm as he spoke.

“I have seen you before…in my nightmares.” He said, meeting my gaze.

“I have seen you as well, in dreams.” I responded, fascinated by his resistance to being glamored. Encouraged by his unusually strong will.

He poured himself a drink of water and continued.

“What more do I need to know?”

“There is a secret conflict that has been raging for hundreds of year and I’m sorry Richard, but you must decide your role…because you have always been a part of this world.”

He pressed his eyelids shut and took a deep breath before opening his eyes, it seemed for the first time…

No comments:

Post a Comment