10/15/10

Pride & Rationalization


It’s interesting how quickly memories of mortality fade for some of us. Winston’s new motivation was tied to the pride and insensitivity of humans. He said that, for the most part, humans were a compassionate race but some of them caused serious harm to themselves and us. Put simply, mortals were conceited enough to believe that not only were they most intelligent of God’s creatures but they were also the greatest. Arguably, we are privy to empirical evidence that differs.
Still, I think absolutes are problematic and this near vindictive defense of superiority lends itself too easily to prejudice and the abuse of power. I concede that I have lived through slavery and have reaped the benefits and privilege that are an accepted norm because of the color of my skin. Similarly I cannot claim to fully understand the stigma and disadvantages that are the result of being colored, but I acknowledge their existence. So it is interesting to see a person of color newly remade with this power argue the pride and conceit of mortals.
Certainly, the new motivations of my friend…my victim, Winston, are more complex than these concepts of privilege and power, but it is part of his rationalization. As a coven we are less active and visible than Winston’s. They are beginning to clearly define their own existence on the island and have begun to form interesting political and business alliances on the island. Our existence is now more than rumor in certain circles, but we remain in the shadows trying not to interfere too much in the lives of those who live amongst us. By its very nature this has set up a very uneasy relationship between covens where our peaceful co-existence seems tentative.
There’s a race dynamic at play as well even though vampires of color dominate both covens. There is no ignoring that Winston is black and I am white. Even I feel he is more entitled, better suited, to be Ngozi’s protector. But I am wary and watchful...

No comments:

Post a Comment