10/1/10

The Devil is in the Details


We experienced another period of calm and what many considered growth. I remained cautious in my optimism that, if not delusional, certainly felt illusionary at times. I did my best to act as an advisor to Winston and initially our new professional relationship worked well, but there was also a subtle division at play. Louis and I may have had better intentions at heart, so to speak, however we were not as politically expedient as other members of our inherited court.
Katherine was enamored with the new leadership and the power it represented. She had witnessed Winston take Marcus’ head and with it his place and had recognized the opportunity to be of service and to be closer to the seat of power. I had seen her kind in this life and the one before and I was certain that she was no stranger to using her wit and charm to achieve her desires.
It was clear to me, and not before too long, that there were two distinct arms of our new executive. Louis and I were decidedly more comfortable with remaining in the shadows, discreetly acquiring wealth, and assisting our mortal counterparts when the opportunity arose. While Winston, who was now constantly accompanied by Katherine, had little misgivings about demonstrations of our superior strength and resources.
Winston was driven to leadership by revenge and perhaps his sense of reason had perished with Marcus. In any event, he maintained that there was work that we could do to the benefit of the people and the island. And because he was so recently one of them, fighting in defense of better for his people, and because both Louis and I wanted to stop taking from this beautiful country and its people we accepted. We wanted desperately to believe that we could work together to somehow change our lot, but if you have been following my story to this point you know that this power that we have is all consuming…corrupting. There were things being whispered into Winston’s ear that would ultimately prompt an impulsively act that would seriously impede any progress we made to this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment