7/22/11

Return

I have been away with Sophie and we have done things that I prefer not to record. I left Thomas and Phillip in charge of our order and I have stayed away longer than I had planned. It was invigorating being away, initially. Walking among those I did not know as well as those on the island. They had their own stories of course, hopes, dreams, desire for a better life. But I was not invested in them the way that I was with those that I felt a kinship with in Trinidad.
Sophie was very adept at pointing out their weaknesses, the evil they were capable of and so I fed and she reveled in my embrace of my dark nature and hers. But I could only ignore what I felt was my ultimate responsibility for so long.
           We returned without any fore warning and perhaps should not have been surprised that the place which I considered, more than any, to be home seemed a more cynical place now. Newspaper headlines seemed focused on senseless crimes and corruption and I became gravely concerned with what my apprentices were doing in my absence…

No comments:

Post a Comment