7/29/11

The Divide

Thomas and Phillip were plenty busy in my absence. Thomas had split the property into two parts to focus on poultry farming and aqua farming. The land was, once more, generating significant income and providing jobs, but as walked past happy workers I could sense that Phillip was not close.
Thomas approached Sophie and I and removed his cap, ceremoniously wiping away non-existent perspiration. He smiled broadly and a few familiar faces just beyond him stopped their work and nodded smiling in our direction. He hugged me and Sophie in turn and I could sense a comfort in him that was enviable.
“Welcome back.” He said, standing back with a slight bow.
“Thank you.” I said, feeling a bit uneasy.
“Things seem well!” Sophie said with some cynicism.
“They are.” Thomas said humbly. “Come, let me show you what we have done.”
It was fascinating seeing how they had transformed the land and how many were employed to look after the Tilapia and shrimp farming as well as the chickens. More remarkable was the absence of fear.
One of their own who I had turned, had done right by them and I no longer felt that the estate belonged to me.
“You’ve done a remarkable job.” I said with some pride and regret.
“I’m happy that you are pleased.” He said eagerly as Sophie looked off into the distance.
“Where is Philip?” She asked devoid of emotion.
“I’m surprise you don’t know.” He said with a little smile. “Phillip moved into the city. He was appointed Minister of National Security by the government.”
Sophie smiled and I knew there was no coincidence that one of us now responsible for stopping the blood that flowed in this nation’s streets…

No comments:

Post a Comment