4/1/11

Clot - Morning

After I return from a jog and shower, she is awake, rubbing her stomach and smiling at me in a way that reminds me of promises made.
“Did you get any sleep my darling?” She asks.
“Some.” I say toweling my still damp hair. She makes room on the bed and continues.
“I think this trip will be good for all of us. There is alot unsaid between you and your mother, perhaps you will find time to clear things between you.”
“Perhaps.” I say stroking her hair.
Nayasha is a professor of History at Brooklyn College. She comes from a Jamaican, Irish background and is always working on improving relations between my mother and I. Blood, she always says, is important.
“Does she know how soon we’ll be there?”
“She knows we’re coming, but I thought it would be better to give her our news in person.” I say smiling.
“I know I’m not showing, but I do feel different.” She says rubbing her still flat stomach.
“As do I.” I say looking into her eyes.
“You’ll be a great father Richard, even if you never find out any more about your own.” She says touching my face. “Now get dressed, or not, and I’ll make us some breakfast.” She kisses me softly and disappears into the bathroom, taking my smile with her. I understand that I will lose her if I don’t face my demons. She was right, this trip would be good for us. It could no longer be avoided.

No comments:

Post a Comment