2/25/11

If It Makes You Happy…

Have you ever made a decision at first thought best for your own personal well-being but then upon further consideration perhaps more damaging than ever considered. Something in you warns of the error being made. This is where I found myself. At night I rested beside something that looked, smelled and acted like my Sophie. We embraced this dream even though we both knew Sophie was long gone.
There was concern among the coven, but only Louis gave voice to the misgivings.
 “Neither of us have the moral latitude to judge anyone.” He began on a cool night two weeks into our new arrangement. “But this thing that you do is of no benefit to either of you.”
“I appreciate your honesty dear friend.” I said with a sad smile. “But I did not get the opportunity to bid her a proper farewell in my previous life so I will let this fever run its course.”
He flashed me a knowing smile and squeezed my shoulder.
“Hold this in your thoughts my friend. We are well aware of our dark nature, yet we hold unto what is left of our humanity and work every day to master our impulses. As much as this entity reminds you of Sophie, it is nothing more than a reflection of your memory. It only mimics Nicholas. It was never human.” He turned to leave. “I wish for you this was true but I ask you not to confuse familiar feelings and want with happiness.”
He had given voice to my own discomfort and feelings that I tried to bury. Still, I wasn’t sure if I was prepared to say goodbye again. My life seemed filled with goodbyes and this time Sophie could stay with me. So what if she was just a reflection, what was I?

No comments:

Post a Comment