7/2/10

A New Wrinkle

The man who sang under the sobriquet Public Defender wasn’t only a talented calypsonian, but his craft also demanded an attention to detail and an awareness of his environment. I was not sure what he saw or would remember of our brief encounter but I would have my answer in short order.

I had to maintain appearances. I was about to leave the estate to visit Marcus when I picked up a familiar scent. I sat on the porch crossed my legs and waited. Moments later I saw him, walking briskly, removing his gray fedora to mop the sweat from his brow with a white, sweet smelling handkerchief.

As her approached my porch he fussed with his gray shirt, black slacks and belt and seemed startled to look up and find me sitting with my eyes fixed on him. He stopped at the steps and removed the hat again, wiping rivulets of perspiration from his face. He smiled nervously and I could smell the alcohol on him that was poorly disguised by cologne and breath-mints.

“Ah sorry to disturb yuh Mr. Nicholas, but ah would appreciate a moment of yuh time?”

“Please.” I said standing slowly and indicating the empty chairs. “Have a seat. I’ll get you something cold to drink?”

The handkerchief was out once more patting his face, head and neck. “Dat is not necessary Mr. N- ”

“Nonsense.” I interrupted evenly. “I’ll get us both some water for the heat and please, call me Nicholas.”

He smiled and nodded, perched at the edge of a chair. I returned with a pitcher filled with ice and water and two glasses. I poured us both a drink and sat.

“So tell me.” I said taking a sip. “What brings the great Public Defender to my humble estate?”

Some color was returning to his face and he sat back enjoying the gentle breeze and water.

“Well. Ah recognize yuh from some uh the shows at Mas Camp. Yuh always real nice to everybody and to me with yuh tips. The money does help mih family.”

“I wish I could do more. You are a gifted performer and composer. What you do and what you have to say, it’s important…necessary.” I said smiling. “But you sought me out, found my estate to do more than express your thanks.”

“Yes.” He said nervously, shaking his right leg. “Ah was drinking last night. Ah was drinking, but ah sure ah see you on mih way home.”

“I see.” I said breathing evenly. “And just what do you think you saw?”

“Ah drink too much sometimes. Ah know dat, but ah not crazy and I aint no fool. Is not the first time either that ah see something like this.” He focused on a point just to the left of me. “Ah lose a child to something like this. But ah not blaming you. You coulda kill me anytime yuh want, but yuh save me instead. So yes, ah want to thank you for a lot.”

I raised my hand to stop him. His gratitude made me uncomfortable. “You probably understand a lot more than I think you do, but I fear I may have put you in more peril by saving you…by following you to begin with.”

“What kinda peril?”

I pressed my eyes shut and took a deep breath, trying to put off making another bad decision.

“I want to offer you a job and a place to live. Get your family and bring them back here.” I reached into my pocket and removed a set of keys, putting it on the table between us. “Use this to get in and make yourself at home.”

He looked at the keys then at me suspiciously.

“Yuh want me to trust yuh. After what I see? Why? Ah doh understand.”

“I’m trusting you and I hope that’s enough for now. I’ll explain everything when I get back. But there is somewhere I need to be to ensure that things don’t get any worse.”

After a moment he took the keys and walked slowly out of the estate, looking over his shoulder until he was out of sight.


No comments:

Post a Comment