7/9/10

Every Action…

Marcus met me on the street that led to his house. I could sense the presence of others as he approached but they stayed out of sight. Grey clouds hung low, making it prematurely dark for early afternoon.

“Walk with me.” He said smiling as he put an arm around my shoulder. We walked pass his house in silence, past a small two bedroom house where three young men smoking marijuana on the front porch fell silent as we walked by. The frequency of houses decreased and soon we were between a smattering of trees and high bush.

“How have you been Nicholas?” He said breaking the silence.

“I’ve been good.”

“Have you.” He said removing his arm.

“Is everything alright?” I asked stopping.

“No Nicholas, things are not alright, at least not for me.” He said, walking off the road and stopping beneath an old mango tree. I followed him as a light drizzle began. His back was still turned as he continued.

“I’m troubled Nicholas, more so because this doesn’t happen to me very often. Being troubled that is, by anything. What really concerns me is that I strongly suspect that you know why I’m troubled and I would like nothing more than to be wrong…which also doesn’t happen too often. Do you know why I’m troubled?” He asked. He still hadn’t turned around. My mind raced.

“No, I don’t know why you’re troubled.” I said. He was gripping the trunk of the tree so hard that bark was cracking under his hand. The drizzle intensified and a low mist hung in the field we were standing in. I was aware of the fragrant smell of mangoes, the sound of water dripping off leaves and the apparent stillness of Marcus.

“My wife is missing.” He said. “No missing is not quite right. I am certain that she has been killed, in as much as our kind can be killed. Destroyed may be more appropriate, but whatever the correct term may be I am incensed. It is an affront to me. There must be consequences.”

“Why do you think something has happened to her?”

“She is one of us!” He said tersely. “Of my blood. Strong and ruthless. Loyal. If she could be here she would be. Something has happened.”

“And why do you think that I would be aware of such a tragic development?” I said with as much indignation as I could muster.

“Because my dear Nicholas.” He began, turning to face me with eyes that appeared to glow red. “She was going to follow you when I saw her last.”


No comments:

Post a Comment