4/9/10

By My Hand, Of My Blood

I stayed behind and busied myself with work on the island. The frequent letters from Ngozi buoyed my spirit. I wonder if she knows what she has come to mean to me? Keeping me informed makes it easier to stay away. I hoped that in time this to would change.

The visions started when the son she would call Richard took his first breath. All at once I was transported across the world. I could see Ngozi, sweat dotting her upper lip and slicking her forehead. This was beyond the connection I felt to Ngozi, deeper. The sensations were overwhelming, as if I were physically present in the room.

I could see her, exhausted and elated, as her screaming son was cleaned and handed to her. A smile spread across her face as she looked down on him with tired eyes. His crying ceased and her smile almost disappeared behind a veil of tears.

Looking at his face my heart sank. He was very pale with dark curly hair and although he looked so much like her there was something in his eyes that reminded me of myself. I felt his innocent eyes on me, as though he were aware of my presence. And the more this new connection allowed me to see and experience the more I understood how significantly my blood had affected her son…

No comments:

Post a Comment