2/12/10

Transitions

We were all overwhelmed. I had no way of knowing how my blood would alter the girls beyond improving their condition. I could tell that Beatrice and Malcolm now felt a greater degree of indebtedness to me and I was still uneasy.

Ngozi and Nabila became the focus of our interactions and they were now tied to me. With those that share your blood, that you have made there is a bond that goes beyond the familiar. You sense their emotions and you can tell when they’re close. But these girls were not mine, I did not make them and yet I could sense them in much the same way. What was most unsettling though is that they now treated me like a second father. Malcolm thought it harmless, but something in my extensive observation of human emotions filled me with a deeper concern.

They were getting older, changed by their experiences. Still, when I looked into their eyes I saw a maturity and wisdom that extended beyond their years. Nabila was growing into a beautiful, outgoing young lady interested in bookkeeping and dancing, but Ngozi was becoming a truly remarkable young woman, striking, artistic and gifted with an understanding of medicine. I wondered what part my blood played in their changing present and promising future.

I continued to watch over them all, but I also forced myself to create some distance mindful that they could never truly reach for a normal life in my constant presence. Nabila was developing, what I hoped was an innocent crush on me and Ngozi seemed quietly determined to get to know me better. I wanted to give them the opportunity to reach for their dreams. I found Elizabeth, which was not too difficult, turns out both she and Louis were keeping a watch over me from a respectful distance. As soon as I focused on her I realized how close they were…my blood, how close they have always been. They agreed to be my surrogates in England, look after the girls as they pursued studies in Accounting and Medicine. Financing their education was the solution to their problems and my anxiety.

We spent the next month getting the girls used to their new care givers and ensuring that Malcolm and Beatrice were comfortable with sending their girls away. They were sad to see them go, but excited about the opportunities that they would be open to them because of this sacrifice. Of course they would visit the girls regularly, I would make sure of it. But we all decided it would be best for them to get settled for a couple months and get used to their new environment and school. For their part the girls put on a brave front, saying that they understood that this would be best for them and their family. I held a dinner for everyone on the Saturday before they left. It was a bitter sweet time, but there was no indication that this would be the last time that all of us would be together like this…


No comments:

Post a Comment