2/19/10

All That Glitters

It is surprising how much the human condition changes over the passage of time. Birth and Death is a natural part of the cycle and in the distance between there is, often times, a physical and metal deterioration. This was just one of the problems of being friends with humans, that and of course the old adage of not playing with your food.

In the six months after the girls were away it was if there was less life in the Brown household. The correspondence between the girls and I was extensive as they detailed every account of their new adventure. Ngozi wrote meat least two letters a day and I was flattered and saddened by her growing concern and affection for me.

Beatrice reduced her visits to my house and in time they would stop all together. The health of both her and Malcolm was also in decline. Malcolm’s demeanor changed as well. He apologized for his wife. “She loves you Nicholas.” He said with a faint smile. “It’s just difficult for her to be away from the girls.” I actually felt better about this change. I too was not sure that I had changed their lives for the better.

Within in a year Beatrice was bed ridden. I made one trip to England with Malcolm to visit the girls, who appeared to have grown up in our absence, without their mother. She had sent them individual notes, detailing her pride in their dedication and imploring them to stay focused on their studies and not worry about her. I will be fine, she said, I will visit you the next time.

Both girls excelled at their studies and were becoming very fine young ladies. I was happy that they had Louis and Elizabeth to watch over them because suitors and danger couldn’t be far off. It would be another two years before the girls would see their mother again, and by then it was too late for goodbyes.

For as long as I can now recall I have been the only constant in my existence and in some ways I think that I was affected just as deeply as anyone by Beatrice’s death…


No comments:

Post a Comment