1/8/10

Resolve

The dawn following La Safer’s death was unlike any that I had experienced before. The previous twelve hours were a blur. I remember hearing the hushed tones, reverent almost, as they studied the lifeless, shrunken form that had embodied so much fear and loathing. I burnt the head and body on a pyre and watched the body disappear into thick clouds of black smoke.

They had all asked if they could stay, but now more than ever I was filled with the desire to be away from my kind…and others like us. I wanted to be part of something more meaningful. I felt an even deeper kinship with the people of the island this time around. We were both going through our own emancipations, not quite sure what the future held but highly optimistic that what was before us would be better than our past. I encouraged Louis and Elizabeth to find a life that they were comfortable with and in time I would seek them out. For now I could only deal with one vampire.

So I set about losing myself in the work of renovating and landscaping my property. I needed a routine that would work this supernatural body towards building and re-building something instead of tearing it apart. Then, one evening, a man knocked on my door seeking honest employment to help provide for his family and I was moved by his honesty. I looked into his eyes, and he into mine, and I could tell that he understood that I too needed help. It would be the beginning of a most interesting time in my existence and the discovery of new love. Meeting the Brown family would tie me to them forever and in many ways it is where my story truly begins…

No comments:

Post a Comment