1/1/10

A New Dawn

It happened quickly. I could hardly get a read on him before I felt his breath at my back. We were all separated by Christmas revelers as we stepped off the ship. New Independence was good to the island and alcohol and high spirits enhanced the mood of most. Then there was the irony of our arrival.

“You wear your emotions like new clothes my son. Far too easy for one like me to read.” At the sound of his voice time seemed to slow. I turned to face him. He wore a dark suit with a crisp white shirt and red tie.

“These are their colors.” He said, standing back for effect. “The colors of their flag.”

“Patriotic.” I said flatly, trying to avoid his hypnotic beauty.

“We should talk.” He said, pointing the way out of the harbor. I could see that the others were already ahead of us, guided by those of La Safer’s making.

As always La Safer was prepared. Transportation was on hand to take us to our destination which, as we neared, turned out to be my own plantation. His arrogance angered me most and I did my best to control this emotion. I could usually feel the mood of those close to me, those I now hold dear. But here, in my own house, close to them I felt nothing.

We sat on my veranda looking out at the cocoa being served hot tea by a strange man servant and it was I who felt like a guest visiting a disappointed parent. On the floor between us was a menacing question mark, in the form of a large scythe.

“I don’t think I can give you what you expect.” I said as the servant left us in the fading pre twilight warmth.

“Are you certain you know what that is?” He asked, making no effort to look at me.

“I think I am.” I said settling into an uncomfortable silence.

“Nicholas. I had such great plans for you, for us really. But you do know that if this was about killing you that it would have happened some time before now.” He said after a few moments of silence.

“So?”

“So now,” he said turning to face me. “I will leave you to your life here. But it will be far different than the life you should have had. In the beginning the desire to create a superior being was what fueled me. A more worthy being to rule, devoid of mortal weakness. You were to be my general, but while you were rediscovering your humanity I figured it would be so much more interesting if irrational fears were given reason. I know you think me a monster, but there are worst things to fear than me.”

“But why the deception, why use Antonio and try to manipulate me through my memories?”

“Because I can Nicholas. Because whether you like it or not the consequences for your actions are not of your choosing. Because ending your existence would be too easy and I require more from you.”

Looking into his eyes I could see the depth of his disappointment and the great abyss of his own hate…for everything. His breath was controlled and even and his body from all I can tell as I studied him was mortal. Strong, extraordinary, but living in much the same abnormal way that I now was and I was struck by the epiphany of the moment and the sudden fragility of this dark angel.

I emptied my mind and thought became immediate action. I recognized a fleeting look of pity as I seized the scythe before beheading him. Strangely, there was no feeling of relief, no release. It was as if nothing had changed…but of course, everything had.

No comments:

Post a Comment