11/12/10

What have you done Nicholas?


Nothing I had done before would have given Winston any indication that I was willing, perhaps even capable, of such deliberate and sudden savagery. It gave him pause. This is not a fight he wanted. It was the reason he came to me, why he was trying to gain subtle control. He knew I wasn’t invested in leading a coven, certainly not one the size of what ours was be combined, He figured I would happily endorse another if thought they were right to lead and if I would be left alone. Most of this was true, but I also formed a close relationship with mortals which complicated my motivations.
Ngozi knew something of the depth of darkness within me. She had seen a glimpse of it all those years ago when I took a life to save her own. She had never forgotten what she had seen and how unnerved she had been to be in the presence of such extraordinary evil. She was savagely attacked and violated and still managed to look more horrified by what I had done to her attacker…I was the monster and I had become that monster again tonight.
When I got back to the estate the specter of death hung over me. By the looks I got, everyone knew that I had done something to protect us. They looked calm, proud almost, everyone that is but Ngozi. I walked past members of my coven who bowed slightly and cleared a path to Ngozi and Louis, who were seated just outside the study. Louis stood up an approached me, whispering to me the concerns expressed by Ngozi. I looked into his eyes and saw an almost instant recognition of what I had done. He nodded and left me alone to talk to Ngozi. I sat next to her and heard her take a deep breath.
“What have you done Nicholas?” She asked softly.
“Something I should have done a longtime ago.” I answered. “And it means I have effectively ended things or I have started a war.”
“Oh God Nicholas, what have you done?” She said, this time even softer as she buried her head in her hands to shield her tears. I looked at her silently even as I felt the presence of others circling the estate…

No comments:

Post a Comment