8/13/10

In for a Penny, In for a Pint


I should not have made another. The pleas of Ngozi and the strong silent presence of Eli should have been enough deterrent. But, his pleas were stronger. My life, such that it is, has been rife with misguided intent and when I looked into his eyes I saw that he too was tired. Tired of being marginalized and ignored, tired of losing everything with only the promise of more suffering.
He accepted the trade off. I thought that death might have been the eventual end for them and indeed for him it was, in the way it is for me. He mourned for the lives of his loved ones and his own mortality and yet saw a strange promise in his own making. He saw as a means to make amends for not being able to defend his wife and children. To correct his shortcomings as a husband and father. A small measure of retribution.
As my new disciple opened new eyes to an old world I wept for my part in his corruption, as yet unaware of how great an alley he would become and how pivotal he would be in the war to save his countrymen…

No comments:

Post a Comment