9/18/09

The Myth is Born

Before getting to the islands I had seen and encountered other supernatural entities but most were male. I had not considered before what effect our essence would have on a female but I had assumed that it would not have been much difference. As it turned out, I was quite naive in my assessment. Men and women have quite distinct physiological psychologies and as a result we are affected in profoundly different ways by the thirst. For instance, whatever the chemical imbalances or physical defects that exist at the time of transformation now become very permanent imperfections regardless of experience or medical advancements. For better or worse our stasis, defied the passage of time.

I was intrigued by the changes in Elizabeth, initially. We don’t always conform to the romantic notions that humans have created for our ‘feeding’. While I can lengthen all my teeth at these times I choose to extend those closest to the corners of my smile for efficiency. Antonio, because of his devotion, has adopted a similar method, but not our Elizabeth. She feeds with an intensity and ferocity that I have never witnessed before extending all her teeth and becoming a grotesque image of what we all are inside. She seemed more comfortable than even Antonio with her new abilities, cost be damned. She was unable or, perhaps, unwilling to be controlled at night. Then, within a week of her making, the most significant transformation occurred.

The first time she shed her skin and flew out and around the plantation as a frenzied fireball I knew that our carefully guarded existence was in great peril. It was not necessary for her to shed her skin and become this creature to feed, but I suspect that she enjoyed the shock and horror that it provoked in her victims. In many ways she was a more honest version of us, than even I. There is no pretense or guile about her. Even Antonio who, was still enthralled by her and, considered himself a believer in the use of our abilities was concerned about her methods and her unique talents.

In a country that was still forming it’s own opinions about religion and identity, the stage was ripe for misunderstandings, myths and emerging folklore. Much of which was rooted in reality. It wasn’t long before local soothsayers and witchdoctors were being sought to explain and protect people from the attack of the woman whose skin blazed as she flew, and who left many dead. One of the gifts also passed on to Elizabeth was the ability to speak both Latin and French because of the bloodlines of Antonio and myself. She was often heard issuing commands in French because, she reasoned, Latin was a dead language. In time, she was being referred to as a Soucouyant and ingenious title that attempted to credit her as a French creature that fed off the blood of others and traveled as a ball of fire at night.

I have often marveled at the human ability to define that which they do not know or only have partial knowledge of. Still, it was a time of great caution for us, and fear for all who could fall victim. She enjoyed pleasures of the flesh with Antonio, but seemed more content in my company. This did not pass unnoticed, but I had no doubt about their respect and loyalty to me. The passage of time takes on less significance for those of my kind, but I could not help but feel distant during our pre twilight discussions and pity for my cursed kin at times. But what was greater was my sense of compassion and responsibility. Eli had been absent for quite some time, but I often felt his presence. At these moments I felt compelled to educate Elizabeth on the benefits of discretion for our kind.

She had become more sophisticated in her appearance and was almost unrecognizable to anyone who knew her from her previous life. Still, I thought it best that she establish her own quarters in the capital even though we were all aware that she would be with us most days. In time Elizabeth exercised more control over her thirst. She realized that it was not necessary to kill every victim and became more adept at passing unnoticed in the pre-dawn hours and leaving her mark. This, I suppose, only enhanced the mythology, causing the island mystics to proclaim there were many soucouyants roaming the islands. The myth was good for business. Old women who felt neglected by the world and had in turn turned their back on society were cause for much speculation. Still, our Elizabeth remained the only female in our nest. But this too would change.


1 comment: